This time of year, a lot of people get thinking about love, especially when they feel they haven’t found it yet. Unfortunately too many people think that performing love magic is a bad idea or will bring bad consequences. The truth is that if you do it properly, you can draw in nothing but blessings and do no harm to any one or any thing.
Not all love spells, after all, involve commanding someone to love you. Most of you who practice will be familiar with love-drawing spells. Some work with ‘spiritual magnetism,’ others go by Law of Attraction, some make petitions to holy figures and some just try to make themselves extremely receptive to love. Whatever works for you is best, but I’m going to tell you about something I’m trying this year: a love-drawing note.
Love letters are something I have always longed to receive and something I have never been brave enough to write. If you’re like me, you might like this year’s Goblin-Friend idea for Valentine’s Day.
~ © ~
Things you will need:
- Attractive stationery that reminds you of love
- A pen you like, possibly with scented or non-black ink
- A pink or red candle, possibly figural like “The Lovers“, wedding couple candles, or an individual figural candle of the gender you wish to attract
- A romantic smelling candle-dressing oil, perfume, or both
- Pick a special day to do this when you have enough time. Valentine’s Day is a good day, because the energies around you are magnificent and invigorating if you can pick up on them. Otherwise, consider doing it on a Friday during an Hour of Venus.
~ © ~
The thing about this spell is that it takes preparation and mindset. You need to be in a lovey mood for it to work. Before you write your letter, take some time to feel the romance well up within you. Here are some ideas for getting ready:
- A pampering bath or shower
- Romantic, attractive, or cuddly clothes—whatever you like best
- Wear your favorite romantic scent
- Eat some chocolate! It inspires very potent chemicals in the brain in both men and women. Try some foods that are considered aphrodisiacs.
- Watch a movie that inspires you with love
- Play a song that’s very dear to you in a romantic way (but make sure there are no unwanted associations with it, like an old flame or a lost love)
- Above all, keep the mood thrilling and hopeful. Do things that remind you of that new, exciting, wonderful love that you want to draw into your life.
~ © ~
Time to write!
Once you have set the mood, it’s time to begin your letter. You may wish to write it by candlelight at night for a more romantic effect. (You can use your figural candle if you like, but I suggest you save that for later.) Sit down in a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed and get ready to spill your guts!
This love letter isn’t going to be a laundry list of qualities you want in a partner. Imagine you were writing it to someone you actually know—you wouldn’t tell them how much you like their height, weight, eye color, and job, would you? That’s not very romantic. Besides, that is a limiting mindset with this kind of love spell. You want to draw in something real, not something formulated.
Instead of describing the partner you’d want, focus on how you want to feel around that partner. Write the letter as if the person knows you and will read it. Give them a magical name like Love, Darling, or Cherished, if you want to address them. Tell them how you feel when you’re around them. Tell them what it’s like when you don’t have them near. Tell them the secrets of your heart, your yearnings, your joys. Tell them what they mean to you. Remember to focus on how you feel about them.
You can also venture into descriptions of your love’s personality, but make sure to keep it loose, open, and about how you feel. Here are some examples of how to “translate” your descriptors of personality or appearance:
- “You always make me laugh” is better than “You have a great sense of humor.”
- “The way you look at me makes my heart leap” is better than “Your eyes are so bright/deep.”
- “When we touch, the connection is electric” is better than “Your skin is so soft.”
Keep in mind this is because if you describe something specific about someone—for example, having soft skin—that may pollute and confuse your own magic. Remember that it’s about what you really want and need. Would you rather have someone with soft skin, or someone whose touch makes you tingle? Exactly! If you talk about how you feel, it can apply to just about anyone, and it will draw in the person you will feel that way about. If you describe someone’s traits, you may draw in that person, but you may not love them.
Remember to keep the letter in the present tense. It is more effective to describe how your love currently makes you feel rather than how your love “will” or “would” make you feel. Write as if the person you love more than life is already with you!
Make sure to end your letter with a hope or expectation that you will see your love soon. Keep it positive! “I know that I will see you soon and I long to see your face” is one example of how to do it.
~ © ~
Now that you’ve written it…
Now it’s time to make that letter enticing and send it along. If you have perfume or oil to put on the letter, go ahead and put it on. You can put it in an envelope if you want. Next, take your magic candle and dress it in the oil (or spritz the perfume in the air and wave the candle through). Set the letter down on a fireproof surface such as a candle dish or a normal plate. Put the candle on top of the letter and light it. Allow the candle to burn down on its own until it won’t burn anymore (this shouldn’t let the letter burn, but it should result in wax stuck to your letter). If you need to, you can do this in stages, since you don’t want to leave a candle unattended. (That’s another reason to pick a reasonably-sized candle.)
Once it’s done burning and the wax has cooled and hardened, take your letter and treat it like a valued treasure. Tuck it into a letter box, or slip it under your bed, or fold it into the pages of your diary (if it will fit; you can take off the big pieces of wax if you want and a residue will remain). Put it somewhere sacred and secret!
~ © ~
And don’t forget…
… the first person you have feelings for after you perform this spell may not be the one. There is no way of determining when this person shows up or how (not that I’m aware of, anyway!). Keep your mind and your heart open, and don’t jump to the conclusion that your true love is the new fellow next door you’re remarkably attracted to. It’s possible of course, but keep your head on your shoulders. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a relationship with them, though! Just keep your eyes open for all the signs that you wrote about. When you need a reminder, go back and read your letter. May you all be blessed with love of all kinds and from all sides!
Happy Valentine’s Day!